Monday, December 19, 2011

Jurors deadlock in $1B lawsuit against Microsoft (AP)

SALT LAKE CITY ? A federal jury on Friday failed to reach a verdict in a Utah company's $1 billion antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft Corp. in a case so important to the computer giant that it put Bill Gates on the stand for two days last month.

Novell Inc. sued the software giant in 2004, claiming Microsoft duped it into developing the once-popular WordPerfect writing program for Windows 95 only to pull the plug so Microsoft could gain market share with its own product.

Novell says it was later forced to sell WordPerfect for a $1.2 billion loss.

The trial began two months ago with jurors getting the case on Wednesday. After much confusion, and some perplexing questions from the panel, they told U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz they were deadlocked by early Friday evening.

He repeatedly asked them if they could keep trying.

"This has been a very long and expensive case," Motz told the panel.

Novell attorneys pleaded with Motz to give the panel just one more day. In the end, however, the 12 jurors told the judge they were "hopelessly" deadlocked, and they later told lawyers a single holdout refused to vote in Novell's favor.

"He had strongly held views about the technical evidence and refused to budge," Novell attorney Jeffrey Johnson said. Jurors offered no comment after the trial.

Novell was left with little to show for a decade of effort, but the company said it will seek to retry the case with a new jury.

"Although it's a technically complicated case, we're hoping to convince another jury that our claims have merit," Novell's corporate counsel Jim Lundberg said.

Microsoft said it would file a motion asking the judge to dismiss Novell's complaint for good and avoid a second trial.

"We remain confident that Novell's claims don't have any merit and look forward to the next steps in the process," said Steven Aeschbacher, Microsoft's associate general counsel.

Novell waited until 10 years after Microsoft left WordPerfect behind to file the lawsuit. The company said it was waiting for the U.S. government's antitrust enforcement against Microsoft to wrap up. At first Novell's case was dismissed, but it was later reinstated on appeal.

Microsoft lawyers have argued that Novell's loss of market share was its own doing because the company didn't develop a compatible WordPerfect program until long after the rollout of Windows 95. WordPerfect once had nearly 50 percent of the market for word processing, but its share quickly plummeted to less than 10 percent as Microsoft's own Office programs took hold.

Gates testified last month that he had no idea his decision to drop a tool for outside developers would sidetrack Novell. Gates said he was acting to protect Windows 95 and future versions from crashing.

He said that the company's preferred Word software was superior to WordPerfect, which was a "bulky, slow, buggy product" that did not integrate well with Windows 95.

Novell could have worked around the problem but failed to react quickly, he said.

Novell has argued that Gates ordered Microsoft engineers to reject WordPerfect as a Windows 95 word processing application because he feared it was too good.

Novell's lawsuit is the last major private antitrust case to follow the settlement of a federal antitrust enforcement action against Microsoft more than eight years ago.

Novell is now a wholly owned subsidiary of The Attachmate Group, the result of a merger that was completed earlier this year.

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20111217/ap_on_hi_te/us_antitrust_lawsuit_microsoft

ufc on fox juan manuel marquez juan manuel marquez penn state stanford oregon joe paterno velasquez vs dos santos

Sunday, December 18, 2011

State of siege lifted in Peru mine region

An indigenous woman from Cajamarca state protests against the Conga gold and silver mining project outside the government palace as police stand by in Lima, Peru, Friday Dec. 16, 2011. Peru's government has lifted the state of emergency it declared last week in a northern region wracked by protests against the country's biggest mining project. Protesters worry that the $4.8 billion Conga gold mine could taint and diminish their water supply. (AP Photo/Martin Mejia)

An indigenous woman from Cajamarca state protests against the Conga gold and silver mining project outside the government palace as police stand by in Lima, Peru, Friday Dec. 16, 2011. Peru's government has lifted the state of emergency it declared last week in a northern region wracked by protests against the country's biggest mining project. Protesters worry that the $4.8 billion Conga gold mine could taint and diminish their water supply. (AP Photo/Martin Mejia)

Indigenous women from Cajamarca state protest against the Conga gold and silver mining project outside the government palace as police stand by in Lima, Peru, Friday Dec. 16, 2011. Peru's government has lifted the state of emergency it declared last week in a northern region wracked by protests against the country's biggest mining project. Protesters worry that the $4.8 billion Conga gold mine could taint and diminish their water supply. (AP Photo/Martin Mejia)

(AP) ? Peru's government has lifted the state of emergency it declared last week in a northern region wracked by protests against the country's biggest mining project.

The government announcement late Thursday says "order had been re-established" in the four provinces of Cajamarca state where the 60-day emergency was declared Dec. 5.

The government says it will send a high-level delegation to resume dialogue with protest leaders led by Gov. Gregorio Santos.

He praised the decision on Friday, telling The Associated Press it was a "form of vindication for a very unjust act that never should have happened."

Protesters worry that the $4.8 billion Conga gold mine could taint and diminish their water supply.

Associated Press

Source: http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/cae69a7523db45408eeb2b3a98c0c9c5/Article_2011-12-16-LT-Peru-Mining-Dispute/id-0ecfc441ec374e03a6a35b73c8e32c17

tampa bay bucs cowboys cowboys dallas cowboys slim dunkin slim dunkin will rogers

Highlights of bipartisan legislation extending payroll tax cuts, jobless benefits (Star Tribune)

Share With Friends: Share on FacebookTweet ThisPost to Google-BuzzSend on GmailPost to Linked-InSubscribe to This Feed | Rss To Twitter | Politics - Top Stories Stories, RSS and RSS Feed via Feedzilla.

Source: http://news.feedzilla.com/en_us/stories/politics/top-stories/175944045?client_source=feed&format=rss

storage wars storage wars millionaire matchmaker millionaire matchmaker shawshank redemption 3 10 to yuma west virginia football

Friday, December 16, 2011

Defense bill nears passage in Congress (AP)

WASHINGTON ? A massive defense bill is on the brink of final passage after the Obama administration and Congress resolved a fierce struggle over the president's ability to prosecute terrorist suspects in the civilian justice system.

The House voted 283-136 for the $662 billion measure Wednesday night, a rare bipartisan vote the reflected the strong support for annual legislation that authorizes money for the men and women of the military as well as weapons systems and the millions of jobs they generate in lawmakers' districts.

The Senate was expected to clear the bill Thursday and send it to President Barack Obama.

The House vote came just hours after the administration abandoned a veto threat over provisions dealing with the handling of terrorism suspects.

Applying pressure on House and Senate negotiators working on the bill last week, Obama and senior members of his national security team, including Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, had sought modifications in the detainee provisions.

Negotiators announced the changes late Monday, clearing the way for White House acceptance.

In a statement, press secretary Jay Carney said the new bill "does not challenge the president's ability to collect intelligence, incapacitate dangerous terrorists and protect the American people."

Specifically, the bill would require that the military take custody of a suspect deemed to be a member of al-Qaida or its affiliates who is involved in plotting or committing attacks on the United States. There is an exemption for U.S. citizens.

House and Senate negotiators added language that says nothing in the bill will affect "existing criminal enforcement and national security authorities of the FBI or any other domestic law enforcement agency" with regard to a captured suspect "regardless of whether such ... person is held in military custody."

The bill also says the president can waive the provision based on national security.

"While we remain concerned about the uncertainty that this law will create for our counterterrorism professionals, the most recent changes give the president additional discretion in determining how the law will be implemented, consistent with our values and the rule of law, which are at the heart of our country's strength," Carney said.

Uncertainty was a major concern of FBI Director Robert Mueller, who expressed serious reservations about the detainee provisions.

Testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Mueller said a coordinated effort by the military, intelligence agencies and law enforcement has weakened al-Qaida and captured or killed many of its leaders, including Osama bin Laden and Anwar al-Awlaki, the U.S.-born radical Islamic cleric. He suggested that the divisive provision in the bipartisan defense bill would deny that flexibility and prove impractical.

"The statute lacks clarity with regard to what happens at the time of arrest. It lacks clarity with regard to what happens if we had a case in Lackawanna, N.Y., and an arrest has to be made there and there's no military within several hundred miles," Mueller said. "What happens if we have ... a case that we're investigating on three individuals, two of whom are American citizens and would not go to military custody and the third is not an American citizen and could go to military custody?"

Unnerving many conservative Republicans and liberal Democrats, the legislation also would deny suspected terrorists, even U.S. citizens seized within the nation's borders, the right to trial and subject them to indefinite detention. House Republican leaders had to tamp down a small revolt among some rank-and-file who sought to delay a vote on the bill.

Some of the Republicans were concerned that the "president would use the military to round up American citizens," said Rep. Allen West, R-Fla., a member of the Armed Services panel.

The escalating fight over whether to treat suspects as prisoners of war or criminals has divided Democrats and Republicans, the Pentagon and Congress.

The administration insists that the military, law enforcement and intelligence officials need flexibility in the campaign against terrorism. Obama points to his administration's successes in killing bin Laden and al-Awlaki. Republicans counter that their efforts are necessary to respond to an evolving, post-Sept. 11 threat and that Obama has failed to produce a consistent policy on handling terror suspects.

Highlighting a period of austerity and a winding down of decade-old conflicts, the bill is $27 billion less than Obama requested and $43 billion less than Congress gave the Pentagon. The bill also authorizes money for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and national security programs in the Energy Department.

Frustrated with delays and cost overruns with the troubled F-35 Joint Strike Fighter aircraft program, lawmakers planned to require the contractor, Lockheed Martin, to cover the expense of any extra costs on the next batch and future purchases of the aircraft. The Pentagon envisions buying 2,443 planes for the Air Force, Marine Corps and Navy, but the price could make it the most expensive program in military history ? $1 trillion.

The legislation freezes $700 million for Pakistan until the defense secretary provides Congress a report on how Islamabad is countering the threat of improvised explosive devices.

It would impose tough new penalties on Iran, targeting foreign financial institutions that do business with the country's central bank. The president could waive those penalties if he notifies Congress that it's in the interest of national security.

____

Associated Press writers Pete Yost and Andrew Taylor contributed to this report.

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/obama/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20111215/ap_on_go_co/us_congress_defense

ohio ohio john beck john beck mariska hargitay gmcr ohio news

RI town sues state's main landfill over stench

Garbage trucks, right and behind, empty their load as bulldozers process the waste at the Central Landfill, in Johnston, R.I., Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011. Johnston Mayor Joseph Polisena sued the state's main landfill Wednesday over noxious odors that have plagued residents for several weeks. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

Garbage trucks, right and behind, empty their load as bulldozers process the waste at the Central Landfill, in Johnston, R.I., Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011. Johnston Mayor Joseph Polisena sued the state's main landfill Wednesday over noxious odors that have plagued residents for several weeks. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

Ralph Macari, right, an environmental quality technician for the R.I. Department of Environmental Management, uses a hydrogen sulfide analyzer to measure parts per million of the gas in the air, in Cranston, R.I., Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011. Johnston, R.I. Mayor Joseph Polisena sued the state's main landfill Wednesday over noxious odors that have plagued residents for several weeks. The Central Landfill is located in Johnston, a neighboring town to Cranston. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

A garbage truck empties its load as bulldozers process the waste at the Central Landfill, in Johnston, R.I., Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011. Johnston Mayor Joseph Polisena sued the state's main landfill Wednesday over noxious odors that have plagued residents for several weeks. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

A bulldozer drives along a ridge as seagulls swarm in the foreground at the Central Landfill, in Johnston, R.I., Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011. Johnston Mayor Joseph Polisena sued the state's main landfill Wednesday over noxious odors that have plagued residents for several weeks. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

(AP) ? Residents in this Rhode Island town say the stench moved in this fall, rolling off the state's main landfill and spreading its eye-watering fumes for miles.

After weeks of waiting for officials to eliminate the odor, Johnston Mayor Joseph Polisena said he had had enough. He and the Johnston Town Council on Wednesday sued the agency operating the landfill, seeking an immediate end to the odor and damages to compensate for the suffering of residents. He said the smell damages the quality of life in this town of 29,000 just west of Providence.

"The odor has no conscience," Polisena told The Associated Press. "It travels through different neighborhoods. You can't measure the effect of this. It has to end."

The agency in charge of the landfill, the Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corp., has dug dozens of wells to trap the gas and dumped tons of soil to smother the smell. Agency Executive Director Michael O'Connell said he understands the distress the odor has caused.

"There are only a few things you can do to fix an odor problem," he said during a recent tour of the landfill. "We're running out of time. We'll do whatever we have to do."

The odor can be traced to a number of factors, O'Connell said, including rain that clogged wells that trap the gas. A decision made years ago to open up more landfill space for trash may be to blame as well, he said.

Complaints about the smell have come from as far as Attleboro, Mass., about 20 miles to the northeast. Residents say it often smells like rotten eggs, though it's also been described as sickly sweet.

"It's nauseating," said Elizabeth Falvo, a 29-year Johnston resident. Falvo said odors from the landfill occasionally have been noticeable in the past but never as bad as they've been in the past several weeks. "It makes my eyes water when it's really strong."

Richard Zompa began noticing the smell several weeks ago outside his North Providence home, several miles from the landfill.

"It's kind of a sweet, but not a good sweet," Zompa said. "I've smelled rotten eggs and it's not that. It's strong and it hits you hard."

Polisena said he worries the smell will hurt property values and the town's reputation as a great place to raise a family or start a business just outside the dense urban bustle of Providence. The lawsuit, he said, was filed as a last resort.

"We've been very patient," Polisena said. "We gave them the time they needed. The time ran out."

According to the lawsuit, the smell first became a problem in April but grew much worse this fall. The landfill received 46 odor complaints in October and 249 in November, according to the suit. On Monday, the mayor's office received 70 calls about the smell.

After complaints began to mount, state environmental officials started regular landfill inspections and sent roving bands of workers into neighborhoods to track the smell and efforts to end it. The workers have used equipment to measure the concentrations of landfill gasses, but the nose knows best, according to David E. Chopy, chief of compliance and inspection at the state's Department of Environmental Management.

"The nose is far more sensitive than any instrument we have," Chopy said.

The lawsuit, filed in Providence County Superior Court, also names as a defendant Broadrock Renewables, an energy company that uses gas from the landfill to generate electricity. The suit alleges that Broadrock hasn't done enough to collect the gas.

Bill Fischer, a spokesman for Broadrock Gas Services, said the company had not yet seen the lawsuit and could not comment on it. But, he said, "Broadrock is doing everything within its control to assist in addressing the odor issues."

The 275-foot high, 200-acre landfill is the main depository for municipal trash in Rhode Island. The Resource Recovery Corp. is a quasi-public agency that operates the landfill on behalf of the state.

O'Connell said rain was filling older gas wells and making it difficult to collect landfill gas, causing the gasses to leak into the atmosphere.

Several years ago, new landfill area was opened up for trash, but then the economic downturn caused a decline in the amount of garbage going into the landfill. As a result, more "uncapped" landfill space than needed was opened, O'Connell said, making it easier for gas to escape.

O'Connell said the new gas wells and the extra soil to cover the landfill should soon cause the odors to dissipate.

State health officials say the fumes can cause nausea, itchy eyes and breathing difficulties, though they haven't noticed any major health problems associated with the landfill.

At the behest of the local state representative, the General Assembly created a committee to study the odor and find ways to prevent similar problems in the future.

"It's a pungent smell that doesn't go away," said Rep. Stephen Ucci, D-Johnston, who said he's received more constituent calls about the odor than any other issue in his seven years in the General Assembly. "It gets in your car. If you open the car windows more comes in. You have to actually leave the area to get away from it."

Associated Press

Source: http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/386c25518f464186bf7a2ac026580ce7/Article_2011-12-14-Landfill%20Odor/id-70d1af696b8f46a8af3c4408634fcfbf

hpv vaccine hurricane tracking hurricane tracking flat tax flat tax divine bettie page